Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Rainbow of Hope By Mrs. Kopp

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  This year has gone by so quickly that it's hard to believe that the holiday season is about to start again.  During this time of year we all should take a minute to consider all that we have to be thankful for.  I know that my own list is pretty long, but here are few items that make my heart swell:

- I have a loving husband and two amazing children
The Kopp Family
This is in Central Park, NYC

-I get to wake up each day and come to work at a place that makes me so happy.

-I have the most wonderful students this school year (yes, you guys)
-I'm thankful for my weekly kickboxing and spin classes that allow me to decompress
-I'm thankful for books (obviously)
and my list could go on and on and on - I feel very blessed in this life. 

However, this year my family has something very special to be thankful for.  Last week, on November 18th, my new nephew Zachary Joseph was born.  His birth is more than just another baby to love.  He is our rainbow of hope. 

In 2011, my brother, Joe, and his wife, Jill, had their second child, a beautiful baby boy named Joey.  When they were expecting him they found out that he had a very serious heart condition, but they wanted to give him the best chance at life that they could.  Joey was born and then four days later went on to have his first open heart surgery.  After that surgery the doctors were positive, they felt they had fixed his heart issue and that he would live a long and normal life.  We were all thrilled. 

 Unfortunately, as he grew other issues came up.  He went on to have two more open heart surgeries and many, many other procedures.  He spent months at a time in the hospital, but through it all he was a happy little guy.  He would try to keep up with his older sister and big cousins and it was easy for us to forget that he was sick.  Then, in April of 2013, our world fell apart when Joey suddenly passed away.  Our family was left carrying a grief that was and still is so heavy, we often wondered how we'd ever function again.  Joey was only 22 months old when he died and we will spend the rest of our lives wondering who he would have grown up to be.  The pain of losing a child is one that no person should ever have to suffer and I often wondered how my brother and sister-in-law could face each new day without their son.  
My nephew, Joseph Anthony - at about 1 year old 
Joey showing off his scars - happy as always!

So, our family had a decision to make. We could stay in bed and let grief consume us or we could celebrate the wonderful boy that we were given. We took the the more difficult path. We decided to choose joy.  We chose joy for Joey. We started Joey's Warriors, which is a non-profit organization and we work to help other families whose children have CHD (congenital heart defect). Over the last three and a half years we have raised thousands of dollars for CHD awareness, we put a memorial bench at a local playground in Joey's honor, we provide toys for kids in the PICU at the hospital, we donate holiday gifts for two families who have CHD children, and more!  We will always miss Joey and wish he was still with us, but we remember him and honor him through our charity work. 


The doctors determined that Joey's condition was genetic, so my brother and sister-in-law had resigned themselves to the fact that they would not have any more children.  My niece Kylie (Joey's older sister) was healthy and they took comfort in that.  

Then, this past June they told us they were unexpectedly expecting a child and they were very scared.  We were all nervous because we knew that it was possible that this child could also have a heart condition and that thought alone was a lot to bear.  

Babies that are born after a loss are referred to as Rainbow Babies; babies who bring hope after the storm.  Last week, my nephew, Zachary Joseph, came into this world with a full head of hair and a perfectly perfect heart!  We believe that Joey sent him down to all of us to bring us some joy.  He is a miracle baby and our whole family is extra thankful this year for this Rainbow of Hope.  

Zachary Joseph - Our Rainbow of Hope

This was his going home outfit! 

Me with Zachary on the day he was born!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment