Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Outsiders

This weekend, our school had put on the show The Outsiders as our fall drama. Playing the character of "Ponyboy," I had been able to put a lot of dedication into it, and the fall drama overall meant a lot to me. I want to discuss how it meant to be onstage, the aftermath, and what it might mean in the future. As silly as it seems, the community that is developed throughout this drama and the many others I have done has built a lot of who I am today and is something I am truly proud of.

Within the many weeks of practice and rehearsal for this show, I stressed over how it might end up. I had an extreme amount of lines to remember which stressed me out enough, but on top of that there were a lot of new freshman in my cast. This made me feel awkward, because I was so used to acting alongside the same people from previous years.
Kaela Panicucci, the actress who played "Darry," was a graduating senior. "You really have to be in the moment. So whenever I'm acting, I have to try and remember all of the finer points of preforming," she said. "This year, on top of all I just mentioned, there was also that nasty intruding thought that this is my last high school drama. So there's always a lot going through my head."
There was a point where giving up felt like an option, where I was thinking that the show was going to turn out so bad, that there was no point in trying too hard. When I was set up on the stage for the first time and the bright lights faded onto me, something changed. I was hit with a bolt of energy and adrenaline, knowing that I had people in the seats who paid for this experience. Not only that, but there were people who have seen me grow since 6th grade, people who have worked with me and have watched me pursue this hobby of acting. I saw the faces of previous high school drama students, teachers who have been watching me since middle school, and my family. the cast gave it their all, along with me, and the crowds' cheers assured us it was beyond enough.We had pulled through, and created a memorable show for lots of family and friends to witness.

Then came the aftermath. Every year after the last show, the cast mates of the drama have a cast party. This year, we all went over to a member's house and I can't say I didn't have a great time. We all were overflowing with gratitude, and just plain joy. It was nice knowing we could throw all of those lines and stress out of the window! It wasn't until about 11 at night when the seniors had come up with awards for not only the underclassmen, but their fellow seniors. This is a tradition, these awards. The seniors would line up and take turns to describe the chosen person they were going to specifically reward, until every cast member won one. Many were silly. For example, Alex Schuessler got the "Most Lines Ever" award, though she only had about 5 lines near the end of the play. This was all in good fun of course, as Alex stated, "My award reminds me how in the end, I only had five [lines], but those five or six lines allowed me to be part of a production that helped me create many friendships."
 For the cast mates who had been around for a while, some very sincere awards were handed out. Nina Strowe, who played the part of "Randy Anderson," had won the "Heartfelt Award." On this she said, "...I love it because she [Kaela Panicucci] had said she named it that because she couldn't think of something heartfelt to say....I love it because even though she didn't find something specific to say, she still put a lot of effort into the award and I really appreciate that." I can agree to what Nina had said, because I also got a very heartfelt award. I was given the "Mini Me" award from Jamie Corter, who played the role of "Cherry." I had been acting with Jamie since I was in 6th grade, so this award had really meant a lot to me. She is a spectacular actress, not to mention a creative and intelligent friend. I couldn't think of a better person to follow in the footsteps of.
As for the overall idea of the awards and this ritual, I hope to continue it for years to come. I spoke again to Nina Strowe on this idea, a senior by next year. She explained how much she loved the tradition, and could not wait to carry it out next year as a senior. She said, "I think it really shows how close us drama kids are and how welcoming and fond we are of each other. Everyone gets an award and every award is full of good memories and laughs we won't soon forget."

When I got home from the party, millions of thoughts filled my head at once. So many people have told me I am going to go somewhere great; do amazing things. I just can't help but to wonder, what if I never started drama? Would I ever even continue it if these kindhearted people and friends I have made along the way weren't here? I cannot deny that these shows and experiences have already shaped who I am as a person today, and I am absolutely magnanimous. Acting with these friends who I hold close to my heart gives me the uttermost joy, and is something I can remember as the best parts of my high school career. Looking at the award hanging on my wall directly next to the one from last year, and my black and white shirt with the big words reading, "Sparta High School Presents, the Outsiders," I can say that the times I shared within the past month are indelible and have left me with memorabilia of where I first started.






1 comment: