Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2112- A tale of lies and Rebirth



2112- A story of deception, propaganda, and sadness

By Derek Campbell

In one of the past blogs I've posted, I mentioned a Rush song called 2112, a 21 minute, 7 part song that could be a stand alone short story. It is an episodic tale of a seemingly utopian future. However, like most science-fiction books of a similar plot, the listener eventually learns that this is a dystopian future, bent on propaganda, deception, and total control. This is the general idea of the story, but the true emotions come to fruition when you listen to the song and read the story. That is why I have typed the narrated story and left a link to the song, so that you too, can achieve an elevated understanding of not only the song, but of themes, morals, plot, and other important topics regarding literature:


Song: RUSH- 2112


Included Narration:


I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon. City and sky become one, merging 
into a single plane, a vast sea of unbroken grey. The Twin Moons, just two pale orbs as they trace their way across the steely sky. I used to think I had a pretty good life here, just plugging into my machine for the day, then watching Templevision or reading a TemplePaper in the evening.

My friend Jon always said it was nicer here than under the atmospheric domes of the Outer Planets. We have had peace since 2062, when the surviving planets were banded together under the Red Star of the Solar Federation. The less fortunate gave us a few new moons. 
I believed what I was told. I thought it was a good life, I thought I was happy. Then I found something that changed it all...

[I. Overture]


The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by the benevolent wisdom of the priests...


[II. Temples of Syrinx]


Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful...


I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and to turn the keys to make them sound differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds and soon my own music! How different it could be from the music of the Temples! I can't wait to tell the priests about it!...


[III. Discovery]


In the sudden silence as I finished playing, I looked up to a circle of grim, expressionless faces. Father Brown rose to his feet, and his somnolent voice echoed throughout the silent Temple Hall...


Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet...


[IV. Presentation]


I guess it was a dream, but even now it all seems so vivid to me. Clearly yet I see the beckoning hand of the oracle as he stood at the summit of the staircase...


I see still the incredible beauty of the sculptured cities and the pure spirit of man revealed in the lives and works of this world. I was overwhelmed by both wonder and understanding as I saw a completely different way to life, a way that had been crushed
by the Federation long ago. I saw now how meaningless life had become with the loss of all these things...


[V. Oracle: The Dream]


I have not left this cave for days now, it has become my last refuge in my total despair. I have only the music of the waterfall to comfort me now. I can no longer live under the control of the Federation, but there is no other place to go. My last hope is
that with my death I may pass into the world of my dream, and know peace at last.


[VI. Soliloquy]


[VII. Grand Finale]


It is a sad tale, inconclusive and unfulfilling. The song teaches us the importance of the beauty of life and the little details that make life worth living. It also touches on the idea of "Peace vs. Freedom", what are you willing to give up for security ("Can you put a price on peace?" (David Scott Mustaine))? Under closer examination, you may find several more themes seamlessly woven into the lyrics of the song. However, there are so many that I cannot list all of them now.


The point of this is, music and literature aren't so different after. They both tell intricate stories and include many rhetorical devices and thematic messages, and 2112 twelve I thought was the perfect song to choose to show the bridge.


FUN FACT: The reason why it's called 2112 is still unclear. Some think its the year the story takes place, while others believe it is named after the protagonist "Anonymous 2112". Some believe the name is suppose to pay homage to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and some goes as far as a conspiracy and numbers game found within the lyrics.   

1 comment:

  1. I love how you analyze music just like you analyze literature. Well done! ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete