Monday, April 3, 2017

The Rain (By Eve Curras)

     We sat in the car, my clothes soaked to the skin, beads of water dripping down my forehead.  My mother and I had just raced against the rain, and as always, the rain had won.  It was just the two of us now, the only sound was that of the struggling heater and the pitter patter of droplets on the windshield.  I remarked how the rain was depressing.  My mother turned to me, saying "You shouldn't ever say that.  It will melt the snow."  And I found myself thinking hard about what she said, so I decided to write a poem about it.

The Rain
The promise of the first snowfall
Cold, white water brings the enchantment of Christmas time
But soon cold water is simply cold
And snow becomes vexatious
Pounds of white to be shoveled, not cherished
And winter is bitter, like a foul taste on your tongue
But April brings the rain
Winter wonderland becomes a distasteful memory
And only gloom remains
But with the rain comes the promise of green
And eventually the snow is gone, like all things
A breath of warmth is blown
Flowers take their shape among the growing grass
The sun dances across the pavements
Jackets are forgotten, boots left behind
The promise of rebirth hums in the air
So I thank the rain
For the fresh starts, a time of new beginnings
And for melting the snow


1 comment:

  1. I love that you reflected on how the changing seasons are truly something that many of us need and enjoy. Also, such a nice way to take what your mom said and make it something beautiful. ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete