Friday, May 12, 2017

Living Mindfully Each Day (By Chris Hwang)

      Six days ago, young Tommy Bock of Wallkill Valley was living a typical teenage life similar to the rest of us. He would hang out with friends, go to the movies, play sports, and partake in activities common to all teenagers. What Tommy didn’t know was that Sunday morning would be his last day. The news of his untimely and tragic death sent shockwaves through our entire community. In the hours and days immediately following Tommy’s death, we paid homage to him on Instagram and many of us even donated money to help his parents defray funeral costs. The outpouring of love and sympathy was infinite and innumerable. In fact, Tommy’s Instagram followers increased exponentially. Tommy had a message to send to us but unfortunately, he did so posthumously.
            As young energetic teenagers, we have only completed one decade of life. Most of us don’t fully comprehend the concept of death or truly understand the fragility of life. Because of our youth, we perceive ourselves as invincible. We heal quickly, our scars disappear in days rather than weeks, we get by on four hours of sleep, and we neglect exhaustion. Simply put, many of us are wired at our age to celebrate a fast-paced life where consequences are always an afterthought rather than a guard. Tommy was a wrestler just like myself. In fact, he was my age and wrestled the same weight. I met Tommy and I engaged in friendly dialogue with him at our District championship tournament just a few short weeks ago. Thus, the news of his untimely death really hit home. Unfortunately, it took a tragic death like his to remind me of how precious and valuable life is. In addition, his death also triggered an inner conflict within myself.
            We are often told by our elders and our loved ones to “live life to its fullest” and to “enjoy each day like it’s your last.” Well Tommy did just that and it cost him his life. The old adage tells us to maximize our potential and enjoy life. In fact, the old adage as interpreted by many teenagers inadvertently downplays the risks associated with living a fast-paced life full of enjoyment and gratification. And that is the heart of my dilemma. Although Tommy’s death was tragic, it didn’t have to happen. Tommy died of extensive trauma to his head as a result of a skateboarding accident. So the old adage holds true:  he enjoyed life. However, that enjoyment hastened his time with us. So in recent days, I’ve been struggling to understand how I ought to strike that proper balance between enjoying life and taking risks to enjoy this life. There is no right or wrong answer and perhaps my entry into adulthood will provide me with an opportunity to hone and refine that balance and understand the proper boundaries for “living” a fruitful, responsible, yet satisfying life.
            Despite my confusion and internal conflict, Tommy’s death did remind me to appreciate all that I have and everything that surrounds me. Life is fleeting, full of mystery, and yes, life can be short. In the days ahead, I will be certain to smile vs. frown, to forgive vs. to hold a grudge, and to hug vs. hate.  Although it is true that Tommy died while partaking in an activity that he loved, the risk unfortunately placed him in harms way. It hurts to know that his parents will never have another chance to hold him tight and tell him that everything’s going to be fine and to see him succeed as an adult but it also helps to know that heaven gained an angel. Rest in peace Tommy.






              



           


1 comment:

  1. Chris, You remain so wise beyond your years. I'm 35 and my scars still disappear in days, and I still feel like I will live forever (I'm lucky to still pop out of bed without any aches!), so it's a good reminder for all of us, young or older or old. : ) We truly don't know what the future will bring and we should continue to enjoy our lives, but also with caution because life is so fragile. ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete